Chemically Treated Foods Pose Threats

Kendall Switzer, Contributor

ProcessedFoods2Are you aware of the damage constantly eating some of your favorite foods might be doing? The majority of the American population consumes a large quantity of overly processed foods which is potentially harmful for health reasons.

Overly processed foods are bad because of the chemicals used to preserve them and make them flavorful “They are unnatural to the body and can cause the body to get diseases and illnesses even as bad as cancer,” stated Jeff Paterson, health teacher, at March Mountain High School.

Overly processed foods often contain Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) and Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT) which are preservatives known to affect the neurological system of the brain, alter behavior, and possibly cause cancer. Another hazard is the genetically modified organisms (GMOs) that lead to infertility, organ damage, and gastrointestinal disorders along with the use of trans fats that increase artery clogging and put you at risk for heart disease, according to www.whfoods.com and www.naturalnews.com.

Overly processed foods are also  genetically engineered to be “hyper-rewarding” to the brain causing us to overeat and possibly become highly addicted. Dr. Mercola on www.mercola.com, claims that high fructose corn syrup found in most  processed foods “programs” the body to increase the intake of calories and store fat at an unhealthy rate. Another hazard is the formation of Acrylamide that occurs when highly processed foods are exposed to high temperatures, this increases chances of getting several types of cancers.  Overly processed foods are low in nutrients and fiber, companies try to add in synthetics to make up for it; however, the body isn’t fooled and can’t derive any real nutrition.

So why not just eat real food? A lot of people are oblivious to the ingredients listed on the labels and eat them because “they are easy and taste good,” said Paterson.