Boys Softball Returns to MMHS

Miguel Franco, Contributor

After 10 years, March Mountain High School brought back the boys softball team this year and despite obstacles, ended the season with their heads held high.

The first game of the season was on Friday September 18, at Sunnymead Park.  The Maddogs started the season off with a loss even though they had “six really good batters,” Coach Patterson explained.

Due to the fact that March Mountain’s field was a bit beat up, our home games were held at the local community park.  Fortunately, since the park has several fields it was convenient  for both the girls and boys softball teams to play on the same day.

The eligibility factor proved to be an inconvenience as players withdrew due to poor grades throughout the season. “We filled every last spot on the team,” said Patterson.

All players worked together to get every last effort out of everybody on the field.  One outstanding player, Moses Zamora, was granted Most Valuable Player status for the season due to his amazing batting and teamwork.

The last game in the season was Thursday October 8, versus Oak View High School from Riverside and was a loss for the Maddogs.  The season included a total of eight games; three victories and five losses.  One outstanding home game resulted in a win of 22-2.  “Everybody was hitting, defense was solid, and there were lots of fans,” said Moses Zamora team MVP.

Many players seemed to enjoy this season even though the team suffered many losses. “I enjoyed the opportunity and the experience, and had lots of fun,” said Jerod Necochea, another Maddog player.  

Zamora made some suggestions to improve next year’s team.  His suggestions include: “more people, leaders, better grades, and better attendance, no put-downs, and more experience,” he said in a recent interview.