Dr. Piper Stands His Ground

Joey Orellana, contributor

NO_WHINING_ZONE_1_500The Oklahoma University President recently stood his ground against his arrogant students’ complaints, telling them that if they’re going to be so offended by the school’s practices, rather than learn, that they should find a new university to attend.

Dr. Everett Piper, President of the University of Oklahoma, wrote in a blog post on the school’s website about his frustrations with his students. According to the post, one student came forward to him to complain about how an on campus sermon on 1 Corinthians 13 offended him.

The student said that he felt “victimized” by the sermon because the speaker wasn’t showing love.  Dr. Piper stated that, “our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic.”

He continued to rant about how in today’s age, if a teacher makes someone feel bad, it instantly makes the teacher a “hater,” a “bigot,” an “oppressor,” and a “victimizer.”

In the next paragraph, Piper directly explained to the student and anyone who felt the same, that the “bad” feeling they were experiencing was guilt, courtesy of the conscience.  Also, he wrote that the sermon was purposely designed to make the listener feel bad in order to confess his or her sins.

In the last paragraph of his blog, Piper  offered some powerful  advice to student “victims” by writing, “if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn, or whine about feeling bad, then this is not the university for you.”

He also directly mocked the ever so silly and immature students of this generation by writing, “we don’t believe that you have been victimized every time you feel guilty and we don’t issue ‘trigger warnings’ before altar calls.”

Dr. Piper concluded the blog by writing a strong and righteously offensive statement, “This is not a day care. This is a university,” implying that students need to grow up.

March Mountain High School teacher, Thomas Mitchell, said that he agrees with the way  Dr. Piper addressed this topic.  He found some humor in the situation due to Dr. Piper’s brutal honesty.  The question came up about how Mitchell feels about  students playing the victim so often and getting offended over everything.  He had this to say, “It’s self destructive, they need to realize that our struggles are what makes us stronger.”

Mitchell also said, “It seems like he’s playing the role of the father in this situation and is just trying to teach them a lesson.”