And The Oscar Goes To…

Bryan Lopez, Editor

chris-rock-oscar-countdown-770x443In a time where social equality and acceptance is a major issue, one of the largest film industry awards ceremonies is under scrutiny and controversy over a lack of diversity.

Hollywood awards season is upon us.  With the Golden Globes and Grammy’s out of the way only one is left which happens to be among the biggest events of the year.  The 88th Academy Awards ceremony is scheduled to take place on February 28, 2016.

Recently the Academy of Motion Picture Arts has been under a lot of heat and criticism due to its lack of diversity in its lead acting categories.  For two years in a row, the Academy has yet to nominate an African-American actor or actress in its leading, and supporting categories.  This has started a new trend on Twitter known as #OscarsSoWhite.

Many people have expressed their attitudes and opinions about this controversial subject.  When asked how he felt about this year’s lack of diversity in the Academy Awards, March Mountain senior Jon Flores said, “I think it’s a stupid reason for all these people to be getting all mad about. Sure it sucks that it does seem a little racist but what can we do about it.”

Flores wasn’t the only student who had a thing or two to say. When asked for his opinion, March Mountain student Kevin Gonzales had a view that was entirely different. “It gets me mad that everything is so whitewashed now a days. There should be more diversity in everything, not just the Oscars.  We need to let them know that just because we’re not white that doesn’t mean they should exclude multi-cultural people.”

The views presented by March Mountain students are representative of the views that are being expressed nationwide over this controversial cause. The Oscars Boycott is surely the first step in many that will eventually lead to a new cultural awakening of our current generation.