The Following Creates Suspense

Karen Cordero, Contributor

the-followingThe Following is a crime drama and mystery T.V. series based on Edgar Allan Poe’s short poems and real life crimes. This is a three season series created by Kevin Williamson on January 21, 2013 and ended May 18, 2015.

The Following is a show which catches your attention right away! Once you start watching it you just want to keep watching it to find out what crime will be committed next. I am not the only one who thinks this because, “once I start watching it I can’t stop because I’m always so anxious to see what will happen next,” said Abigail Cordero, senior at Moreno Valley High School.

One of the main characters is Joe Carroll who is responsible for committing several crimes and murders. He has a cult following of individuals who love him and will do anything for him because he has made them feel like “family”. This is really interesting because like Kimberly Benitez, March Mountain High School junior said, “the FBI can never catch the serial killer because he always has people that help him hide and escape.”

One of the most interesting things about this show is that Edgar Allan Poe’s quotes are used to hint about upcoming crimes. Many people actually love Poe, and I believe that that connection will make them want to watch the show. “I think that the show would be interesting because if it is based off of Poe’s short stories then it should be interesting because in his stories something unexpectedly always has to happen,” said Benitez.

The Following is a great show because when the FBI starts getting involved with the crimes it creates suspense about what will happen next. “I think that it is good; and an interesting show because you can’t really predict what is going to happen next and since this is a show that involves the FBI, it is interesting to know what they would do to find the serial killer and end what they had started,” said Cordero.

Although the series was only three seasons due to cancellation, I still recommend it because it is so interesting and filled with suspense that honestly you will not regret watching it. “I would recommend it because to me it is actually a really cool show, although it involves a lot of blood. I am not completely done with the whole series but I am a bit sad because there was only three seasons and that’s a little so I just wish they would’ve at least made it five or six seasons,” said Cordero.

If you are interested in watching this series, you may find it on Netflix.