Infinite Warfare Takes Strides In The Wrong Direction

Brandon Villanueva, Contributer

Call-Of-Duty-Infinite-WarfareCall of Duty is one of the largest gaming series with 14 games out and one on the way. Although the new installment of Call of Duty, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, is receiving tons of hate.  

A recurring trend of futuristic gameplay with assisted movement mechanics has led to an uproar among millions of fans.  They have been asking the studios responsible for creating Call of Duty to go back to its origin of WWI, WWII, boots-on-the-ground gameplay for many years.  After being ignored for the fourth game in a row the public decided to take matters into their own hands.  After Call of Duty fans became fed up they decided to dislike the reveal trailer which eventually gained so much hate it received over 2,000,000 dislikes.

Infinity Ward one of the studios behind the making of Call of Duty will have had about three years to work on the game by the time it ships, as owner Activision now has three studios working on the game,  the others are Sledgehammer Games (maker of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare) and Treyarch (creator of last year’s Call of Duty: Black Ops III). “The campaign ranges from boots-on-the-ground combat to piloting high-speed space-fighters, and it occurs as a near seamless experience with few visible loading times,” according to Activision in an article by www.businesswire.com, and the team promises the “hallmark blockbuster franchise moments that fans love.”

However Activision has a different point of view than its fans, March Mountain senior Jesse Flores said,  “I completely hate the futuristic style because it gives me nothing to relate to or look into, because everything is imaginary.”

This opinion  seems to be shared by the majority of Call of Duty fans who are outspoken about their criticism. However, Call of Duty enthusiast Jesus Arce said,  “I have followed a lot of the controversy, I don’t understand why they got so much hate.”

Since the announcement of Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remaster, fans are eagerly waiting for more information about the game that helped shape many Call of Duty fans’ childhood, including Arce who said, “I am very excited about Modern Warfare Remastered, when I heard it I couldn’t believe how they finally listened; this game was my childhood and deserves all the attention it is receiving.”

Modern Warfare is a staple in the gaming community and many people accuse the makers of sugar coating Infinite Warfare, a horrible game, by inserting the masterpiece Modern Warfare into the series.

As of the time of writing, the trailer has 2,722,305 dislikes, and is now the second most disliked video on Youtube.  Activision is aware of the situation.  During their quarterly earnings call with investors on May 6, 2016, one analyst asked Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg about the dislikes. Hirshberg’s response was pointed. “The reveal trailer for Black Ops II, which took the franchise into the future for the first time, had the most dislikes of any reveal trailer we had ever made at that time, And that, of course, went on to become our most successful game ever,” he said in a recent www.Kotaku.com article.

This reaction caused  Arce and Omar Carbajal, another Call of Duty enthusiast, to label the CEO, as “pretentious” and  Flores to call him, “pessimistic.”

For me this series of games has been nothing but great besides maybe two, but nonetheless. I am very open minded with new games and love to try new things.  For me, I will definitely play this game not only for Modern Warfare but also for Infinite Warfare.