MMHS Students/Staff Respond to Weather Changes

Joshua Jones, contributor

Weather change, we’ve experienced it throughout the year. But that doesn’t stop the students and staff here at March Mountain High School (MMHS) from doing their best work.

Some students are wondering why this weather change is happening so quick and because of that, they are often confused. “One day it’s hot and then soon after, it will be cold,” stated Jacob Woodie, MMHS senior.

People who have to work outside have to prepare for weather changes all the time. Recently, when it rained, one of the campus supervisors was prepared. “I wore layers of clothing and I also got some hot coffee to keep me warm,” said Thomas Washington, MMHS campus supervisor.

Washington has experienced the damage of heavy rain in the past. His house and street were flooded back in 2011. The flood waters reached 20-30 inches high. “My roof is still damaged to this day from the rain,” said Washington.

Students can also be affected by the change in weather. “It’s a bad thing. The temperatures throughout the year will change, because now, it’s really cold which means in the summer, it’ll be really hot,” according to Johanna De Paz, MMHS junior.

“The weather changes due to atmospheric pressure,” according to Dr. Allan Aab, MMHS science teacher.

Atmospheric pressure is the pressure exerted by the weight of the atmosphere, which at sea level has a mean value of 101,325 pascals (roughly 14.6959 pounds per square inch), according to NationalGeographicSociety.com.

Aab would like to remind students that the most important part of the water cycle is the sun. The water cycle describes how water evaporates  from the surface of the earth, then rises into the atmosphere, cools and condenses into rain and/or snow in the clouds, according to PrecipitationEducation.com.

Heavy rain has its pros and cons. “One of the pros of heavy rain is that it allows us to create electricity through hydropower and one of the cons of heavy rain is that it causes flooding and landslides,” said Candi Woolsey, MMHS Instructional Assistant.

“Rain or shine, you can always get out and get fresh air,” said Thomas while he was walking away.