Experience The Magic At The Festival Of Lights

Karen Cordero, Contributor

Something that March Mountain High School (MMHS) students might want to do over winter break is to attend the Festival of Lights in downtown Riverside, a holiday tradition that has been going on for 24 years.

Many people like to go to the Festival of Lights because it is a family friendly event that enhances togetherness. For example, Michelle Colacion, MMHS senior said, “the last time I went was last year and I plan on going again this year because I get to walk around with my family and enjoy ourselves.”

Every year, for the past 24 years, the Festival of Lights has brought attention to downtown Riverside. “It is so popular because there’s so many activities to do and it is surrounded by shops so people like to buy things,” said Colacion.

The Festival of Lights event offers many activities, some of which are free, and also attractions for festival goers of all ages. Some attractions include “rides on a Carousel, Century Wheel, and Trackless Train. As well as Horse Drawn Carriage rides nightly around the Mission Inn Hotel and Spa,” wrote Meghan Eastin, project coordinator of the Festival of Lights in a recent email interview.

Some people also wonder how the Festival of Lights started. “The Festival of Lights is in its 24th year and was started by Duane and Kelly Roberts the owners of the Mission Inn Hotel and Spa (also known as the “Keepers of the Inn”) as a gift to the residents of the City of Riverside,” wrote Eastin.

Everyone has their own opinion about  the Festival of Lights. “The most interesting thing to me are the lights because they go all out on their decorations and everything ends up looking beautiful,” said Colacion.

These lights are currently up and on display until Saturday, January 7 2017. (Closed Christmas Day).