MMHS Takes Action Against Bullying

Joshua Jones, Contributor

March Mountain High School (MMHS) is bully free, not really but, we’re getting there. At our school, we do not encounter as many instances of bullying compared to other traditional high schools such as Canyon Springs, Vista Del Lago, or Valley View.

“We are more compassionate than other high schools,” according to KIm Arcos, MMHS counselor.

“Bullying is basically unwanted, aggressive behavior among school-aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance,” according to the website, staffbullying.gov.

Students who are both targets of bullying and engage in bullying behavior are at a greater risk for both mental health and behavior problems than students who only bully or are only bullied. Also, students who experience bullying are twice as likely as non-bullied peers to experience negative health effects such as headaches and stomachaches, according to the website pacer.org.

MMHS has several ways to prevent bullying at this school. First, students are encouraged to report bullying. Two, the staff consistently reports instances of bullying, and three, our school does create opportunities for students and staff to interact in positive ways said Cristan Greaves, MMHS English and Peer Leadership teacher.

“Other high schools will tend to just dismiss bullying whereas at this school, action would be taken,” according to Arcos in a recent interview.

Some students agree with both Greaves and Arcos, that MMHS does not have as much bullying as the traditional high schools. For example, Aaron Mariscal, a MMHS student in Greaves’ class said that “because this school is smaller and that it’s not so segregated by race or interest, people tend to integrate more.”

Greaves generally thinks that students here treat others with more respect than at the traditional high schools. MMHS student Kelan Gilmore echoed her thoughts when he said, “the students treat their peers with respect and that they are in the same struggle.”

More than half of bullying situations (57%) stop when a peer intervenes on behalf of the student being bullied. Although, 64% of children who were bullied did not report it, according to pacer.org.

One student at MMHS played a role in preventing an incident of bullying. “I seen one guy getting bullied, so I went over and asked, “what is the problem?” The guy that was bullying the other guy had said that he was talking about another person behind his back. But there was a misunderstanding, what was said, was not true. And they resolved it and went on with their day,” according to Jonathan Peck, MMHS senior.