Diverse People March For Equal Rights

Kimberly Benitez, Contributor

Diverse groups of people came together to support each other and fight for everyone’s rights at The Women’s March in Riverside on January 21, 2017.

The march was attended by approximately 4,000 to 7,000 people. A variety of people marched for equality, women’s rights and to protest against the new president’s actions. This local march was one of the hundreds of marches taking place throughout the world on the same day. Around 100,000 people attended the one in Los Angeles.

From children to disabled people, members of the LGBT community, and immigrant rights activists were all at the marches representing a variety of different interests. One chant heard at the march was,  “People united will never be defeated.”

Marchers held a variety of posters, some read, “Women’s rights = Human rights,”  “ Black Lives Matter,”  and also “Hate does not make America great.”

One person who represented her interests at the march was Maria Lawler, MMHS School Secretary 3. “Every human starts out with equal rights,” said Lawler in a recent interview about her experience at the march.

Lawler feels that she experienced inequality when she first began working but many things have changed since the 1960’s when women were not treated equally. Women  were expected to be stay-at-home moms and only worry about what was needed in the house during the 1960’s, according to www.tavaana.org.

Some people were interested in the march but could not attend like Cesar Hernandez, MMHS Junior. He believes that, “every human deserves to have equal rights because we’re all alike on the inside.”

The whole purpose of the march was to send a message to the new government on their first day in office and to the rest of the world that women’s rights are human rights. The idea of the march was for it to be peaceful and bring justice and equality for all according to www.womensmarch.com.