Boys’ Soccer Team Wraps Up Season

Adam Mendez, Contributor

Boys Soccer Team with Coach

Top left to right Anthony Gonzalez, Jorge Murillo, Joel Alverado, Phillip Gonzalez, Fernando Mendoza, Alexis Mendez, Bottom left to right Alexsys Alverado, Alfredo Felix, Juanita Lomeli, Edwardo Aguilar-Mendoza, Kevin Flores, and Victor Ruiz.

Despite their playoff forfeit, the March Mountain High School boys’ soccer team had a season filled with ups and downs.

“My team is family, because they have grown together to collaborate with each other,  and when one is down the other helps them back up whether with a game, practice, or with keeping up with their grades,” said Coach Juanita Lomeli.

The season began with an opportunity for students to play, get to know each other as teammates, and to be challenged both mentally and physically. The team’s goal was to win, but to also have fun while maintaining good grades in order to play.

Led by their leaders, Jason Belman, Captain, and Alexsys Alvarado, Co-Captain, the team met their goal up until the last week of the season.

The Mad Dogs’ last match was played against Citrus Hill High School in Perris. They were defeated 4-1; with George Morillo scoring their only goal. A contributing factor to the loss was the lack of eligible players.  MMHS only played with eight players during that game.  “We didn’t play our game, we played their game,” said Alexsys Alvarado, MMHS Senior.

Even though the team lost the last game Eduardo Aguilar, MMHS senior, described it as “a great team effort.”

Kevin Flores, MMHS, senior also said,“ it was a pretty good game, it took practice; we’ll learn from our mistakes.”